What is Salicylic Acid and what does it do?
Salicylic acid is a type of Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA), typically found in skin care products which are targeted towards to reducing acne, irritation or redness, and also those used for spot treatments. Salicylic acid is extracted from the bark of a willow tree, where the extracted powder is then filtered and treated with antioxidants to produce salicylic acid.
As a beta hydroxy acid, salicylic acid is highly oil soluble and together with its exfoliating nature, allows the compound to target at a deeper level of the skin, the dermis. Here salicylic acid acts as an anti-inflammatory to soothe the skin, reduce redness from skin irritation and fight acne breakouts.
The acidic nature of salicylic acid is able to breakdown bonds between skin cells which therefore promotes cell renewal and cell growth, while at the same time exfoliating the pores to de-clog clogged pores and also controls sebum secretion.
10 key benefits of salicylic acid in skin care
- Fights acne and reduces breakouts
- Fades acne scars and dark spots by cell regeneration
- Reduces oily skin by breaking down fatty compounds
- Exfoliates the skin and dissolves dead skin cells
- Anti-inflammatory and reduces skin irritation
- Unclogs clogged pores and controls sebum levels
- Frees up skin pores which loosens blackheads
- Minimises pores encouraging youthful and smooth skin
- Repairs damaged skin cells with collagen production
- Promotes healthy skin in the long run
Related product: Mellow Naturals Clarifying Face Serum with Sophora Root